For any Indian student, there arises a dilemma after they’ve completed their 12th grade in their choice of country to pursue their MBBS abroad. To meet all their requirements, the country should have affordable education, the curriculum should be world-class, the opportunities for growth should be immense, the degree should be internationally accepted and it should be the best for them.
Many students prefer the USA to pursue their MBBS, and here’s why.
The United States of America, a country of magnificence built from the heart and soul of its people. But its beauty reaches far beyond them. From the cold peaks of the Rocky Mountain to the warm beaches of Florida; from prairie lands and barren deserts to the breath-taking wilderness, the US is nothing short of natural perfection. The country is a cultural, historical and educational hotspot attracting millions of immigrants from around the world. The natural and man-made splendour of the US attracts tourists from all walks of life. Furthermore, it attracts students from across the seas to seek admission in its renowned universities.
The country is the third largest in the world in terms of size and population and one of the most developed countries in the world. It has made huge investments in its economy, especially in the education sector, to exponentially increase the growth of the country as a whole, as they believe education is the key to the future of the country.
Thus, the fantastic education system in place in the US is not surprising. The universities in the USA are considered to be the best in the world for any field of study, especially for the field of medicine. The medical programmes in the US are considered to be the best option to kickstart a career. The degree is held in high regard in all the major countries around the globe. And for good reason.
MBBS in USA
MBBS in the USA is not “MBBS”. The medical programme is known as an M.D. (Doctor of Medicine). The programme focuses on improving the theoretical knowledge of students but, primarily, aims to improve their practical knowledge. Thus, a student enrolled in the programme will have a thorough knowledge, practical experience and skill development in medicine.
The quality of education is phenomenal. The medium of instruction is English. Students who hold the reputed degree of M.D. from the US is highly regarded. The universities offer scholarships. Students can work part-time. The standard of living is high. The job opportunities available are well-paid. All-in-all, “MBBS” in USA sounds fantastic.
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS in the US
The university fee structures and the cost of living in the country is extremely expensive. A student from a middle-class would not be able to afford the tremendous fees imposed by the universities or fulfil the requirements to live in the country. The United States of America is NOT an affordable country.
The MD Course Duration in the US
· Doctor of Medicine (MD) is the equivalent of MBBS in the US.
· The bachelor degree is a 4-year course after which the student is qualified as an MD.
· After completing MD, the students can pursue the Residency Programme that are provided by the universities in the US where they can choose their area of specialization. It is post-graduate programme that takes at least 3-4 years to complete. The duration of the programme varies. For example, it takes 5 years to be trained as a General Surgeon, 3 years as a Paediatrician, and 7 years as a Neurosurgeon.
· During this time, the students have to clear the 3-levels of the USMLE to be qualified as a doctor.
· In short, it takes between 7-9 years for a student to complete medical studies in the US.
Eligibility to Study MBBS in the US
· The students should have an average aggregate of 50% for Physics, Chemistry and Biology in the Higher Secondary Examinations.
· If the student doesn’t have a 50% aggregate, they’ll need to take an entrance examination.
· If the student doesn’t have a science background, they’ll need to complete a pre-medical course.
· The students would require at least a 7 in the IELTS or TOFEL examinations to prove their proficiency over the English language.
Examinations to Know!
· USMLE (United Stakes Medical Licensing Examination)—after qualifying which you’ll get the license to practice in the US.
· MCAT (Medical College Entrance Test)—the examination you can to qualify in order to gain admission to the best medical colleges in USA.
Fee Details and Cost of Living in the US
· The minimum course fee per year would be Rs.3.60 lakhs.
· The maximum course fee per year would be Rs.47 lakhs.
· The cost of living in the US would be around Rs.14,000 to Rs.15,000 per month.
The Top Medical Colleges in USA
· The Johns Hopkins Hospital
· Harvard Medical School
· University of California San Francisco
· Baylor College of Medicine
· Stanford University School of Medicine
· Perelman School of Medicine
· New York University School of Medicine
· Boston University School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine